Visitor Information The Abbey is open all year round during daylight hours
Admission: adults £2.00, children £1.50 Pay at the honesty box at the Abbey entrance.
The Tea Room is open daily mid-March to 1November
Open 10.00am – 5.00 pm or dusk (weekends open until 6pm)
Disabled toilets available on site
This is one of the very few privately owned Cistercian Abbeys open to the public. The Abbey and Jervaulx estate was bought by its present owners, the Burdon family, in 1971.
The walk takes you past this quiet village which can be traced back to 1041 in a pre-Conquest Saxon Land Charter. In 1890 it is recorded as being a small parish lying on the north bank of the river Ure comprising of a township of its own name and the hamlet of Danby. At that time the village had a postmistress, a cowkeeper, joiner, Joiner’s shop, sexton, shopkeeper, bootmaker, miller, blacksmith, schoolmistress and gardener.
St Oswald’s Church is reputed to be one of the oldest in Wensleydale. Its doorway is Norman and is embellished with a war memorial from the 1World War. However, as a result of an archaeological dig in 1966, human remains date the church site back to as early as 680 AD.